In Singapore, drivers with physical disabilities who want to be behind the wheel are required to have a Class 1 driving license. The individuals who are in possession of this document are only legally authorized to operate automobiles that are specifically made for them and have an unladen weight of 250 kilograms.
Also known as the motorcycle license, the Class 2 license has three types, namely:
- Class 2 – This is for individuals who want to drive large bikes with a cylinder capacity of more than 400 cubic centimetres (CC).
- Class 2A – If you want to operate a mid-sized bike with less than 400CC, you need to attain this kind of license.
- Class 2B – Those who have smaller bikes with less than 200CC are required to have this license.
It is important, however, that everyone starts from 2B. If you want to be able to drive bigger bikes, you would need to take the class 2A test after a year and the Class 2 test after two years.
The Class 3 driver's license is for those who have vehicles that can carry up to seven people and an unladen weight of no more than 2,500 kilograms. There are four types under this kind, which are:
- Class 3 – This is for people who want to drive manual and auto transmission vehicles.
- Class 3A – Primarily for drivers who can only drive automatic cars.
- Class 3C – Started only in 2015, this license is specifically for foreigners with a work permit or S-Pass. If you already have a driving license from your own country, you'll only need to take a theory test to obtain it. However, if you want to get a Class 3 license, you need to take both a theory and practical test.
- Class 3CA – Foreigners who have an overseas auto-transmission driving license can take a theory test to obtain this license. After getting one, those who are in possession of this will only be allowed to operate automatic cars.
If you want to be able to drive vehicles that weigh more than 2,500 kilograms but less than 7,250 kilograms, you need a Class 4 license. Some automobiles that fall under this category include buses and trucks. However, those driving for a specific company to operate public buses need a special license called Class 4A. Class 5
Lastly, Class 5 licenses are for drivers who have vehicles that weigh more than 7,250 kilograms. Most of the individuals who have this are truck drivers.